Best Eye Makeup Remover: Reveal Your Peeper’s Real Beauty
If you’ve ever been engaged in the tear-worthy battle of removing stubborn waterproof mascara or even if you simply have sensitive eyelids, then it seems like the search for the best eye makeup remover is a never-ending journey that usually ends in haphazardly smudged eyeshadow and lots of mascara-stained tears.
Most of us are aware that properly removing your makeup, especially your eye makeup, is a vital part of a good skin care regimen. Even if you insist that you are low maintenance that your skin care consists of only a cleanser and a moisturizer, there is no escaping the consequences of not removing your eye makeup and allowing the products to sink into your eyelids. Not to mention, any leftover mascara could fall into and irritate your eyes or worse, can even cause some lashes to fall off!
But don’t you worry honey, we’ve got you covered. This article is a short series of reviews aimed at giving you an idea of what to look for in a good eye makeup remover. We’ve also included suggestions on what to try on next if you’re in the market for one!
Neutrogena Oil-Free Liquid Eye Makeup Remover
The Neutrogena Oil-Free Liquid Eye Makeup Remover gently and effectively removes your eye makeup with minimal effort on your part. Its oil-free formula is non-greasy but doesn’t dry out the sensitive skin around your eyes, in fact, it leaves your skin soft and supple.
The Neutrogena Oil-Free Liquid Eye Makeup remover is formulated to remove even waterproof mascara and eyeliner, so you don’t have to worry about needing to scrub away or pull out another product. The best part, one bottle contains about 4 ounces of the product, and a little amount goes a long way.
- Safe and Refreshing
Neutrogena’s super gentle dual-phase formula is activated when you shake the bottle. It is designed to remove your makeup without any residue. It is also ophthalmologist-tested and proven to be safe even for contact wearers. And thanks to aloe and cucumber extracts included in the ingredients, not only is it safe and effective, it’s refreshing as well!
- Product of Neutrogena
- Pack of 4
- Truly oil-free
- Effectively removes makeup with little product
- Very gentle
- Doesn’t dry out the skin
- Struggles with waterproof makeup
- Contains silicone, feels slightly slick
Mary Kay Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover
- Formulated for Sensitive Skin
The Mary Kay Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover was formulated with eye care in mind. It is ophthalmologist-tested and suitable for users with sensitive skin and even those who wear contact lenses. It has been clinically tested for skin irritancy and allergy and is non-comedogenic. It is also free of any fragrance.
The Mary Kay Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover comes in a 3.75-ounce bottle that is formulated to last you a while. It removes eye makeup quickly and effectively with just a small amount of product. The dual-phase oil and water formula is activated when you shake the bottle, and it even removes waterproof makeup.
Simply coat a Q-tip or cotton round with this product, and lay on your eyes for 10 to 15 seconds. Then, gently swipe to remove any eye makeup. No tugging or scrubbing necessary!
- Eye Care
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Clinically tested for skin irritancy and allergy
- Very gentle, no irritation
- Effectively removes waterproof makeup
- Leaves skin soft, non-drying
- Needs more effort to remove waterproof makeup
- Bottle design does not prevent spills
Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water
- All-in-One Cleanser
The Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water is an overall facial cleanser that also removes makeup. It effectively removes excess oil, dirt, dead skin, and other impurities on the face, but it can also be used to remove makeup. It is formulated to remove even long-lasting waterproof makeup such as mascara, liquid lipsticks, and the like. And because it’s great for the face and removing even stubborn waterproof makeup, you just need this one step to prepare yourself for your skin care routine!
- Formulated for All Skin Types
The Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin. It is paraben-free, sulfate-free, silicone-free, and also fragrance-free. It is formulated to be powerful but ultra gentle on the skin, and refreshes and soothes the skin as it effectively cleanses the face without the need for any excessive scrubbing. The Micellar Cleansing Water lifts dirt and other impurities from the skin, leaving your face soft and clean without a greasy residue.
It comes with 13.5 ounces per bottle, so you don’t have to worry about running out any time soon!
- GARNIER MICELLAR CLEANSING WATER FOR WATERPROOF MAKEUP: Use this gentle yet powerful makeup remover to remove stubborn waterproof makeup. Safe for use in the eye area, and for removing longwear lipsticks, while leaving skin clean and refreshed- never dry.
- MICELLAR WATER IS EFFECTIVE YET GENTLE: It's simple, micellar cleansing water lifts away dirt, makeup, and excess oil, all in just a few swipes. No rinsing, no harsh rubbing- just refreshed skin, and a face washed clean and cleared of impurities.
- OUR BEST MICELLAR WATER FOR YOU: You've seen micellar waters by Garnier on all the "Best Drugstore Makeup Remover" lists. Which Garnier Micellar Water is best for your skin type? Micellar water for Oily Skin? Makeup remover wipes for waterproof makeup?
- GARNIER SKIN CARE: We developed Garnier SkinActive with gentle formulas to leave your skin looking fresh and healthy, no matter your skin type. Find the face wash, moisturizer, bb cream, makeup remover, eye cream, serum, or mask for you.
- Try Garnier SkinActive if you've liked products from Simple, Bioderma Sensibio H2O, Olay Regenerist, Tonymoly, Estee Lauder, Cerave, Mario Badescu, La Roche Posay, Andalou Naturals, Skinceuticals, Cetaphil, Neutrogena, Andalou Naturals, Drunk Elephant
- Removes makeup face effectively
- Ultra gentle
- Very easy to use
- Good for sensitive skin
- Needs a follow-up cleansing product
- Requires more effort to remove waterproof makeup
The Mary Kay and Neutrogena eye makeup removers both have dual-phase formulas, which is activated by shaking the product. This is, in general, the most popular formula for eye makeup removers as the oil effectively breaks up makeup, making for easy removal.
The Garnier Micellar Water Cleanser is a completely different formula and is more of an all-in-one cleanser that also happens to be effective at removing eye makeup.
Best Eye Makeup Remover: The Verdict
Even if you don’t have sensitive skin or eyes, a good eye makeup remover shouldn’t make you want to scoop your eyes out to stop the stinging. At the same time, it should be effective enough that you aren’t sitting or standing there for ages trying to get out the last traces of makeup from your eyelids. The eyes are a sensitive part of the face, and your eyelids are very thin. Excessive scrubbing can not only irritate your eyes but also cause wrinkles later on.
While all three of these products are effective enough to remove most eye makeup, in terms of what makes the best eye makeup remover, that would be a product that you wouldn’t mind using when you’re dead tired but still care enough to get everything off without having to rub your eyelids off. In that case, it would be the Mary Kay eye makeup remover. It’s gentle, effective, and time-saver!
If the products reviewed here aren’t completely for you, hopefully, it’s at least given you an idea of what to look for. Best of Luck!